a. All members of the ARNG and USAR on any form of paid or unpaid inactive duty, active duty, annual training, or full-time National Guard, or Active Guard/Reserve (AGR) duty will wear the uniform and insignia prescribed for personnel in the Active Army. Army National Guard and USAR personnel are authorized to wear the Army uniform on the following occasions.
b. When ARNG AND USAR personnel are within the limits of the United States or its possessions. Army National Guard and USAR personnel not on active duty may wear the Army uniform only as follows.
(1) When participating in reserve training assemblies (inactive duty training), exercises, conferences, or ceremonies in an official capacity as members of the ARNG or the USAR under competent orders.
(2) When engaged in military instruction or in attendance as a student under appropriate orders at any school or course of instruction under the auspices of the armed forces or the reserve components.
(3) When instructors at an educational institution conducting courses of instruction approved by the armed forces, or when responsible for military discipline at like institutions.
(4) When attending social functions or informal gatherings of a military character. All current and former soldiers will conform to the wear and appearance standards in this regulation while wearing the uniform under the provisions of this chapter.
(5) When enrolled as undergraduates in educational institutions in which there is an active ROTC unit or an established USAR unit. Individuals may wear the uniforms and insignia of their grade only upon such occasions expressly desired or authorized by the professor of military science, or other proper official of the school. Members of the USAR attending institutions at which military training is considered as required curricular activity are authorized, and may be required to wear, the uniform prescribed by the institution, including the insignia of any grade or rating held in the student unit.
(6) Army National Guard military technicians who are required to wear the uniform as a condition of their employment will wear the uniform for their federally recognized grades, as prescribed by the Adjutant General of their state, commonwealth, territory, or district.
(7) U. S. Army Reserve technicians who are also members of the U.S. Army Reserve may wear the Army uniform at their option while performing in their civil service status.
c. When outside the limits of the United States or its possessions. Army National Guard and USAR personnel not on active duty and outside the limits of the United States or its possessions will not wear the Army uniform, unless granted authority by HQDA. However, on occasions of military ceremony or other military functions in a foreign country, ARNG and USAR personnel may be granted authority to wear the Army uniform after they have their status accredited by the nearest Army attachÃ©. In a foreign country that does not have an Army attachÃ©, however, ARNG and USAR personnel must obtain authority to wear the Army uniform for a specific occasion from the military authorities of the country concerned.
d. Army National Guard personnel also may wear the Army uniform in the performance of State service, when authorized to do so by their State Adjutant General.
e. United States Army Reserve personnel.
(1) Warrant officers and enlisted personnel serving on active duty who also hold commissions in the USAR may wear the uniform indicative of their grade in the USAR only as follows.
(a) When undergoing authorized voluntary training designed for Reserve officers which they are authorized to take, and while traveling to and from that training.
(b) When attending meetings or functions of associations formed for military purposes, of which membership is composed largely or entirely of officers of the United States Army, or of former members of the Army.
(2) Warrant officers and enlisted personnel serving on active duty who also hold commissions in the USAR may not wear the uniform indicative of their grade in the USAR as follows.
(a) When in an office of the Department of Defense.
(b) When they will be in association with troops of the active Army or of the ARNG when called into Federal service, except when the individual is on active duty as a Reserve officer, or as otherwise authorized in paragraph